Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Switchfoot in Malaysia (Part1)

CHRISTIAN CONTEMPORARY MUSIC Story: My Trip to Malaysia to see Switchfoot

JON FOREMAN:  “ A friend of us flew all the way from a place three hours away by plane and came here tonight…well… maybe not for Switchfoot… I mean he loves Switchfoot no doubt about that…. But not JUST for Switchfoot coz he could have caught us either in Singapore or in Indonesia or maybe in New Zealand… but he chose to be here tonight… it’s because of his friend… he wants to be with her tonight and share with her a night of good music experience.

To Abby (points to our direction) from EO… and to all of you who feels the fire inside tonight, to all of you wanting someone feel special, to all of you who are looking for that hope and chance for a change… “
(Music starts)
“They tell you where you need to go,  They tell you when you need to leave… …When everything inside me looks like everything I hate, you are the hope I have for change, you are the only chance I’ll take…Coz I’m on fire when you’re near me. I’m on fire when you speak. I’m on fire burning at these mysteries…”

…ooOoo…
A few minutes later…
Yaby: (knocks on my door) Knock knock knock! “Hey EO get up! We’ll have breakfast at Ryan’s …”
A few more minutes(or hours, I think) and I woke up… and realized it's all castles in the air… a reverie... a dream!
…ooOoo…
Rewind…
The year was 2005. The Switchfoot Philippine egroup was just then starting when news about Switchfoot cancelling their planned trip to Manila broke the hearts of the few members. I was one of them. The reason, I believe, is the political turmoil happening in the Philippines. If that’s the case then Switchfoot would never visit Manila. So we, the few founders, promised to ourselves that if ever Switchfoot goes to a neighboring country, as long as it is not tight on budget, we will fly to that place just to see the Amigos.
Two years later, in September last year, we did not have to fly to other Asian soil as Switchfoot finally visited Manila. Check here for the whole story.
…ooOoo…
And yes I was part of the Street Team. Some perks, I got to mingle with the Feet (or the Foots), their official photo/video/graphics person Andy, their tour manager Chris, and their audio guy Ryan…
…ooOoo…
In December last year, we (the fans, the egroup listers and the street team) learned about Switchfoot’s coming Asian tour. They will be in Indonesia, New Zealand(though technically not Asia), Singapore, and Malaysia in that order from late January to early Feb. Kuala Lumpur would be their last stop on Feb 2.
When we knew about this tour, all we can say was “Ba't walang Pinas?” obviously already missing their performance in Manila which was just a few months ago. We already forgot about our plan back in 2005 to see them abroad because we just had them last year. Well, except for a friend who missed the show in Manila coz she’s already working in Singapore that time. And now is her chance to experience the Foots.
And guess what, she even invited me to SG but I did not think she’s even serious coz of all the financial considerations and maybe thinking that I had more than enough of the Feet last year (if you just read my Switchfoot Manila story).
So, bottom line, no plans to see Switchfoot during this Asian tour at all.
…ooOoo…
Jan 10, 2008
I had a rare chance to Y!M Yaby, a close friend from WWAI. She's currently staying in Malaysia for work. So I informed her about Switchfoot in KL on Feb 2 just in case she's interested to watch. Yes, just to inform her...
But a few minutes of Y!M later, to make a short story shorter, I was already checking flight schedules for Malaysia on the web. :)  I'll be flying to KL on Jan 31 for a 5-day vacation with Yaby!!! (and watch SF of course) Weeeeeeeeeeee!

…ooOoo…
EO = Extreme Opportunist (or pede din edgardong oportunista)
My officemates once told me that I am an “oportunista”. Sounds negative but it’s just okay. I only make use of my privileges being a handicap to make things easier for me. Some of these instances where I practice my opportunism are:



  • The company I work for provided me a tablet PC instead of the usual laptops used by the rest of my co employees at letnI. This tablet is much easier for me to carry everyday as it is smaller and weighs much less than the one issued to the rest of us at work.



  • One of the front seats of our company buses is always reserved for me.



  • During holidays, when I go home to the province, and when the bus terminals are jam packed with commuters, I demand for the bus management to give me my reserved seat and they will even assist me to get through the throngs of people queuing all day long.



  • I use all the airport privileges for the handicapped, sometimes even getting a seat upgrade.



  • I make use of the handicapped parking even if it’s not my car and I am not the one driving



  • I use the handicapped/senior citizens/ ladies coaches of the MRT… hehehe



  • At marami pang iba… hehehe... though sometimes, I miss a lot of opportunities on things that really matter in life...
(I am just trying to sound like I enjoy these things but these are just consolation perks)
Anyways, why am I telling you these? Just to let you know that I also used these “handicapped” powers in securing a good place for us during the concert the moment I learned that the venue will be a freestanding one. I emailed the venue staff and the productions weeks before the concert telling them about my disability and that I will be flying from the RP blah blah blah. I got a response from the producer/label manager of One Armed Productions who also happened to be the guitarist of the front act LoveMeButch. The email reads:
Hey EO,
How are you doing? Well, we will prepare a section in front of the stage at the barricade (where the media will be taking photos) for you and your friend. Hope you can make it.
Just give me your name and I will arrange for someone to lookout for you at the gates.
Astig lahat kayu! Salamat sa suporta...
See you there :)
Best Regards,
Kok Wing Meng
(Label Manager)
One Armed Productions
28 Jalan Rama-Rama 20/2
40 000 Shah Alam, Selangor Malaysia.
 So there…
...ooOoo...
to be continued
check out the photos somewhere in this site...hehehe



No comments: